Advanced level cancer care
When you’re diagnosed with cancer, you want to have the most advanced treatments at your fingertips. We take a “whole person” approach to treating any type of cancer diagnosis you may have. Each of our cancer center doctors, nurses and staff are highly trained and specialized in not only the latest cancer medicines, but also in how to individually care for and support you through your cancer treatment.
Our customized approach combines advanced treatments with comprehensive emotional, physiological and physical support. Your cancer treatment may include:
Sometimes, your cancer treatment may require surgery to remove a tumor or area of concern. Our surgeons are specially trained in advanced procedures like minimally invasive and robot-assisted surgery that improve recovery time while still effectively targeting the cancer.
Medical oncology is a specialty that deals with the management of cancer from diagnosis through treatment and recovery. Medical oncologists prescribe and oversee chemotherapy, hormonal therapy and biological therapy treatments.
Our inpatient oncology team cares for you when your treatment requires you to be admitted to our hospital. You will be treated with the highest level of clinical care and support in a way that will promote recovery for you and your family.
Most of our cancer patients receive treatment on an outpatient basis. Your care is coordinated using the same multi-specialty team approach as patients receiving inpatient care. You will have access to the latest technologies during your visit and the support you need when you go home.
Our radiation oncology specialists combine the latest in radiation technology with the most advanced treatment options. A wide range of radiation oncology treatments are available at our Charlotte, Matthews, Rowan and Winston-Salem Novant Health facilities, including:
- Radiation therapy – Also called radiotherapy, this treatment method uses high-energy X-rays to kill cancer cells and stop them from growing. The rays are directed at the body by a machine called a linear accelerator.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) – This treatment uses a state-of-the-art radiation delivery system that uses CT scans to create a three-dimensional image of the tumor and precisely deliver radiation to all sides.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) and Stereotactic Radiotherapy (SRT) – This highly targeted form of radiation is used to treat tumors in sensitive, difficult-to-reach areas such as brain, spine, liver and lungs.
- Brachytherapy – This treatment uses radioactive seeds placed directly in or near the tumor to allow cancer to be treated with minimal affects to the healthy tissues around the tumor. Brachytherapy is often used to treat prostate cancer.
- MammoSite – A type of brachytherapy especially for breast cancer, this treatment delivers radiation directly to the original tumor site and decreases radiation time. While standard breast brachytherapy involves surgically implanting 24 catheters into the breast, our MammoSite treatment calls for just a single catheter to perform the therapy.
To learn more about our cancer treatments, please contact the Novant Health location nearest you.