Your rights and responsibilities
as a patient
As one of our patients, you have many rights that we are committed to protecting. Whenever possible, we will inform you of your rights in writing before providing, or stopping, your care. Below is a partial description of your rights as a patient.
For comments, complaints, or grievances or to report safety concerns, you can contact your nearest Novant Health location or call toll-free:
Quality of care – you have the right to:
- Quality care by skilled doctors and staff.
- Be treated for your pain.
- Treatment that is as comfortable as possible.
- Emergency procedures without unnecessary delays.
- Help decide the details of your plan of care.
- Ask for a second opinion, at your expense.
Safety – you have the right to:
- Safe care.
- Know when something goes wrong with your care.
- Have a family member or friend, as well as your doctor, notified promptly of your admission to the hospital.
- Be free from all forms of abuse and neglect.
- Be free from all use of restraints unless needed for safety.
Voice and choice – you have the right to:
- Get information in a manner you understand.
- Make informed decisions about your care.
- Refuse care.
- Make advance directives and have your medical wishes followed.
- Contact a person or agency to protect your rights.
- Have a support person with you for emotional support.
- Agree to or refuse to allow pictures for purposes other than your care.
- Religious and other spiritual services that you choose.
- Complain without fear and have your complaint reviewed.
Affordability – you have the right to:
- A detailed bill and an explanation of that bill.
- Information about resources to help pay for your health care.
Authentic personalized relationships – you have the right to:
- Know the names and jobs of the people who care for you.
- Privacy and access to medical information as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices of Novant Health.
- Be treated with respect and dignity.
- Treatment without discrimination.
- Respect for your culture, values, beliefs and preferences.
- Visitors of your choices. We will inform you of any restrictions.
- Personal privacy.
Easy for me – you have the right to:
- Sleep in the hospital without being awakened unless necessary.
- Know about rules that apply to your actions.
- Help in discharge planning from the hospital.
Your responsibilities are to:
- Be an active partner in your health care.
- Ask questions.
- Keep appointments.
- Be respectful to other people and their property.
- Follow the hospital’s rules.
- Follow your care instructions.
- Share as much health information with us as possible.
- Tell us about changes in your condition.
- Tell us when you are in pain.
- Give us a copy of your advance directive(s)
- Leave your valuables at home.
- Pay for your care.
For comments, complaints, grievances or to report safety concerns, you can contact your nearest Novant Health location or call 1-888-648-7999. After normal business hours, please leave a message and someone will return your call the next business day. You also may lodge a grievance directly with the following:
North Carolina Division of Health,
Attention: Rita Horton
2711 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2711
919-855-4500 (local and outside NC)
S.C. DHEC Health Regulation
2600 Bull Street
Columbia, SC 29201
The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Blvd.
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181