Too much sodium can increase your blood pressure and your risk for a heart attack and stroke.
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, recommend a maximum sodium intake of less than 2,300 milligrams per day. The guidelines also recommend further reducing sodium to 1,500 milligrams per day if:
- you are 51 years of age or older
- you are black
- you have high blood pressure
- you have diabetes
- you have chronic kidney disease
Tips to reduce sodfium intake:
- Choose low- or reduced-sodium or no-salt-added versions of foods and condiments.
- Use fresh poultry, fish and lean meats instead of processed meats.
- Reduce the amount of packaged and frozen foods you eat.
- Rinse canned foods to remove added salt.
- Replace salt with other seasonings.
For more information, tips and healthy recipes, download this helpful guide.