Providing support to successfully manage and grow your practice
Novant Health provides the support and expertise needed to successfully operate and grow your practice in today’s complex, competitive and ever-changing healthcare industry. A dedicated integration team assists our partners in the transition and provides ongoing support in many areas.
Learn more about the services we offer our physician partners and practices below.
Central billing services
Today's billings requirements are complex – making successful collection of patient accounts a challenging task. We provide a full in-house billing service designed to produce industry-best collection performance for services we provide:
- Claims submission – electronic and paper
- Insurance receivable follow-up
- Patient remainder balance collections
- Payment posting – electronic and manual
- Daily closing and reconciliation procedures
- Customer service billing and questions
- Cash management policies
- Collection policies
- Monthly reporting of A/R management
- Claims error and denial reporting
- Patient balance statements
- Bad debt management.
Clinical resource services
Clinical resource services offer a variety of services to facilitate clinical and system integration and assist your practice in meeting standards of clinical excellence. We have a dedicated team of licensed and certified clinicians to serve as navigators to assist your practice in consistently meeting and maintaining these standards and qualifications:
- Clinical policy and procedure management
- Regulatory preparedness for The Joint Commission, OSHA, CLIA
- Laboratory consulting
- Disease management and care coordination
- Medication management
- Evidence-based guidelines for physician clinics
- Clinical toolkits and educational materials
- Practice assessments and quality audits
- Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) preparation and coaching
- Compass newsletters and current archives
- Clinical orientation and education
- Clinical practice councils in all markets.
Coding and compliance
We offer coding-compliance services to ensure that provider-coding profiles accurately represent services rendered. Through chart reviews and profiling, we identify opportunities for maximum reimbursement while educating providers on how to comply with the federal documentation guidelines. Support and representation are available to practices in the event of an audit or inquiry from a third party.
- CPT and ICD9 coding education
- Medical record documentation reviews
- Profiling and benchmarking
- Audit support and representation
- Appeal process assistance
- Encounter form review
- Updates on regulatory issues
Electronic medical records
Novant Health invested in Epic as our electronic health record (EHR) system. All of our physician clinics are active on the practice management system as well as the shared electronic health record system; we have begun implementation of Epic within our acute care facilities. Full implementation across Novant Health will be complete in 2015.
Our qualified accountants offer financial services that are designed to provide timely and accurate feedback to practices. Additional services are available depending upon the different needs that are unique to each practice. We also provide incentive compensation plan administration.
- Monthly financial statements
- Operating and capital budgeting
- Cash flow analysis
- A/R analysis
- Accounts payable
- Product line development
- Compensation plan administration and modeling
- Physicians productivity analysis
- Pro-forma and "what if" analysis
- Provider productivity analysis
- Practice opportunity / turnaround analysis
- Internal / external benchmarking – MGMA
- Access to capital
Novant Health leverages our size and negotiating power to obtain discounted purchase rates. This process is designed to improve efficiencies in the purchase, sale and utilization of all goods and services.
- Professional sourcing managers negotiate best pricing from manufacturers and distributors
- Local warehouse stocks most frequently-used items for next-day delivery
- Supply-chain customer service team to assist with supply-chain needs.
Novant Health offers the latest in information technology through both hardware and software support. We recognize the connection between successful practices and access to advanced technologies.
- Secure wide area network/Internet/email
- Billing system
- Microsoft Office applications
- Remote site access
- Desktop support
Legal and regulatory support
Legal and regulatory services are generally the most expensive and overlooked support service utilized in the private sector. Novant Health has legal and compliance professionals available to advise and guide practices in each of the following issues:
- Internal audit
- Risk management.
Novant Health understands the recent trend of escalating malpractice expenses. We act as an advocate for the interests of medical practitioners through lobbying efforts to counter rising costs. We also work to evaluate market rates and offer package malpractice coverage based on each practice's needs.
Novant Health offers a physician malpractice insurance company called New Star, Inc. New Star is a physician-owned, risk-retention group that provides physicians with the opportunity to more positively impact their medical malpractice premium costs into the future.
Managed care contracting
Novant Health managed care is split into two divisions: analytics, audit and operations and contracting and enrollment. We have a knowledgeable team of experts that can address all of your managed care needs. The teams are focused on the following:
- Analytics, audit & operations
- Contract & CPT analysis
- Payor metrics reporting
- Auditing of managed care payments
- Operational issues with payors
- Contracting and enrollment
- Contract negotiation
- Payer enrollment for physicians and allied health providers
- New clinic analysis and transition.
Marketing and public relations
The Novant Health marketing and public relations team is here to support your clinic to ensure it is clearly visible in the community. They coordinate media relations and all aspects of marketing including copywriting, design, approvals and implementation. They will manage your marketing needs at no cost to your clinic and they are committed to ensuring that you receive quality materials and vendor services at reasonable fees. When you want to market your clinic, contact your Novant Health marketing representative, who will help you determine how to accomplish your marketing goals and implement those plans for you so you can focus on caring for your patients.
Novant Health has a team of physician support managers who are the personal communication link between physicians and the vast resources and new technologies Novant Health has to offer. Listening to the needs of each physician, and sharing their feedback with leaders, affords us an exceptional opportunity for positive change within our organization. Physician support managers offer valuable resources:
- Serving as a "single point of contact" for physicians and their staff
- Maintaining open and effective communication
- Identifying and supporting the needs of physicians, managers and their staff
- Facilitating process improvement throughout the system to help achieve the highest quality of care
- Partnering with physicians and leaders to meet initiatives and goals
- Coordinating resources within the healthcare system.
Personnel management is positioned to help each practice operate with the appropriate level of qualified competent staff. Novant Health can provide assistance with initial staff placement, additional educational resources and the day-to-day support required to retain quality employees.
- Personnel policies and job descriptions
- Provider and staff recruitment
- Orientation and basic training
- Evaluations and disciplinary plans
- Temp services and float pool
- Market wage management
Leadership and operational support
Novant Health offers a wide range of expertise designed to support the daily operations of each practice as well as provide ongoing support and education to each practice manager.
- Utilization tracking
- Open access scheduling
- Appointment systems