The bills you receive after an extensive health care experience can be confusing. Many people participate in your care and may send separate invoices. This could include separate bills from your doctor or any specialists that were involved in your care.
Health Insurance Plans
In most cases, Novant Health will bill your primary health insurance company directly. If we haven't heard from your insurer after 30-45 days, we may ask for your help in contacting them. Amounts that are denied, rejected or unpaid may become your responsibility, depending on your plan type and benefits. Learn more about our accepted insurance plans. »
If you have Medicare, we will bill it first and then bill unpaid amounts to any supplemental insurance policies you may have. All unpaid balances may become your responsibility, depending on your plan type and benefits.
If the bill is related to treatment for an on-the-job injury or accident, we will file a claim with your employer's workers' compensation insurance carrier after authorization. Claims that are denied may ultimately become your responsibility, but we'll work with you to sort out payment options.
If you have a Medicaid insurance product, we will bill in accordance with your plan's policy. If we are not listed as a provider with your Medicaid product, you may be responsible for the balance.
For balances that are your responsibility:
- For your convenience, Novant Health accepts most forms of payment including cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards.
- Any patient is eligible for an individualized payment plan based on the amount due and the patient's financial status, with terms extending up to five years. No interest charged, unless appropriate.
- Uninsured patients with income over 300 percent of the federal poverty level are eligible for a self-pay discount.
- Any patient (even with health insurance) with a balance over 20% of their gross annual income is eligible for a catastrophic settlement.
- See the “Financial Assistance” page for information regarding our charity care program.
For more information, connect to our hospitals' websites listed in the dropdown at the top of this page.
Online Bill Pay
Pay you hospital or physician practice bill online with our online bill payment system. Learn more »
Financial Assistance for the Uninsured and Special Financial Programs
We will work with you to see if you meet requirements for special financial programs. Learn more »