You have the following rights. If someone is helping you make healthcare decisions, he or she may exercise these rights for you.
Quality of Care - You have the right to:
- Quality care by skilled doctors and staff.
- Be treated for your pain.
- Treatment that is as comfortable as possible.
- Emergency procedures without unnecessary delays.
- Help decide the details of your plan of care.
- Ask for a second opinion, at your expense.
Safety - You have the right to:
- Safe care.
- Know when something goes wrong with your care.
- Have a family member or friend, as well as your doctor, notified promptly of your admission to the hospital.
- Be free from all forms of abuse and neglect.
- Be free from all use of restraints unless needed for safety.
Voice and Choice - You have the right to:
- Get information in a manner you understand.
- Make informed decisions about your care.
- Refuse care.
- Make advance directives and have your medical wishes followed.
- Contact a person or agency to protect your rights.
- Have a support person with you for emotional support.
- Agree to refuse to allow pictures for purposes other than your care.
- Religious and other spiritual services that you choose.
- Complain without fear and have your complaints reviewed.
Affordability - You have the right to:
- A detailed bill and an explanation of that bill.
- Information about resources to help pay for your healthcare.
Authentic Personalized Relationships - You have the right to:
- Know the names and jobs of the people who care for you.
- Privacy and access to medical information as described in Novant's Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Be treated with respect and dignity.
- Treatment without discrimination.
- Respect for your culture, values, beliefs and preferences.
- Visitors of your choices. We will inform you of any restrictions.
- Personal privacy.
Easy for Me - You have the right to:
- Sleep in the hospital without being awakened unless necessary.
- Know about rules that apply to your actions.
- Help in discharge planning from the hospital.
What is your role in your healthcare?
- Be an active partners in your healthcare.
- Ask questions.
- Keep appointments.
- Be respectful to other people and their property.
- Follow the facility's rules.
- Follow your care instructions.
- Share as much health information with us as possible.
- Tell us about changes in your condition.
- Tell us when you are in pain.
- Give us a copy of your advance directive(s).
- Leave your valuables at home.
- Pay for your care.
For comments, complaints, grievances, or to report safety
concerns, you may contact this Novant facility or call, toll-free
1-888-648-7999. After normal business hours, please leave a
message and someone will return your call the next business day.
You also may lodge a grievance directly with the following:
North Carolina Division of Health Service
Attention: Rita Horton
2711 Mail Service Center,
Raleigh, NC 27699-2711
800-624-3004 (toll free for NC
919-855-4500 (local and outside NC)
The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Blvd.
Terrace, IL 60181